Important events which led to the demolition of Babri Mosque in 1992
1. In Dec 1949, the idols of Ram and Sita (Ram’s wife) were placed inside the Babri Masjid by two officers of Uttar Pradesh provincial civil service; Commissioner, K.K.K. Nayar and and the City Magistrate, Guru Datta Singh who were members of the RSS. Instead of removing the idols and restoring the property to the Muslim community, the court through an order of interim injunction, locked the mosque and denied the Muslims their right to worship.
2. On 11 February 1986, ironically but unsurprisingly with Congress collusion, a Faizabad lawyer, Umesh Chandra Pandey, moved an appeal before District and Session Judge K.M. Pandey to unlock the Babri Masjid. While the legal case of the Babri Masjid was still pending in Allahabad High Court, the district judge in Faizabad allowed Hindus to conduct their worship of idols by opening the gates of the mosque while prohibiting the Muslims to enter the site.
3. Arun Nehru, a close associate of Rajiv Gandhi, delivered a letter to Judge Pandey and informed him that Congress would not object to the unlocking of the Babri Masjid. At the same time, an agreement was concluded between the BJP and Congress by Buta Singh and Narain Datta Tiwari who was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh. As per the agreement, Shilanya Ceremony (the laying of a cornerstone) would be conducted by the BJP/VHP after the Babri Masjid had been reopened.
4. In 1989 Rajiv Gandhi began his electoral campaign from the same Faizabad district and said: “If Hindus want Ram Rajya, they should vote for Congress as it is the only party which could bring Ram Rajya to the country” (Times of India, 1989).
5. Amidst the hostile political atmosphere, Doordarshan ran a highly sophisticated dramatisation of the Ramayana whose episodes ran for eighteen months commencing in January of 1987, and then followed it up with a ninety one episode version of the Mahabharata.
6. In Sept 1990, BJP President L.K. Advani organized the Ram Rath Yatra. Different affiliates of the Sang Parivar participated in the so called journey of faith which took lives of more than 275 innocent Muslims. Narendar Modi was also a part of it.
7. In 1992, Babri Masjid was demolished by 150,000 kar sevaks. It was planned 10 months in advance by leaders of RSS, BJP and VHP in collusion with PM Rao’s govt. No RSS leaders were imprisoned after the demolition. The RSS was apparently banned but shakhas were never closed.
8. Maloy Krishna Dhar, former head of IB, claimed in his book “Open Secrets” that he was directed to provide security to the meeting held by Sang Parivar where demolition of Babri mosque was planned. Tapes of the meeting were handed over to PM Rao who tacitly approved the plan.
9. PM Narasimha Rao had deep ties with RSS. His personal secretary Ram Khandekar was a swayamsevak. It was Rao who gave permission for worshipping the Ramlila images at the makeshift temple. He frequently visited the Tirupati Temple to get advise and met with the Dharma Sangsad.
10. A professor at Harvard University said, “Congress and the Gandhis created an environment in which BJP could legitimately use religion in politics.” (Newsweek, 1993)
During 1980-89 there were nearly 4500 communal incidents in which 7000 people (mostly Muslims) died.
Research by Fidato
- “The Babri Masjid and the secular contract” by Harold A.Gould
- “The tragedy of the Babri Masjid” by Syed Serajul Islam
- “How the RSS Reshaped India” by Shridhar D. Damle and Walter K. Andersen
- “The Babri Mosque and Hindu Extremists Movements” by Abdul Majid
Tee Shirts, hoodies, sweatshirts, tank tops and more
Categories: Geopolitics, History, International Affairs
Leave a Reply